In my community development work in our church in Calgary I have really enjoyed getting to know the communities and people living around our church. I also like networking with a variety of social agencies and churches in our city. I am amazed at how many social agencies are willing and wanting to work with churches due to the church being one of the biggest assets in a neighborhood.
Below are some of the books, web sites and resources that I have used or found interesting that might be helpful or of interest to you.
Most of can be ordered on www.Amazon.ca and can be bought used.
- Thy Kingdom Connected –Dwight Friesen
- Practicing the Way of Jesus – Mark Scandrette
- Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor – Robert Lupton
- Daughters of Islam, Building Bridges with Muslim Women – Miriam Adeney
- Voices from the Margin – R.S. Sugirtharajah
- Community & Growth – Jean Vanier
- Welcoming Justice – Charles Marsh & John Perkins
- Practical Justice – Kevin Blue
- The Careless Society. Community & its Counterfeits – John McKnight
- Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Pat
h Toward Finding and Mobilizing Community’s Assets – John McKnight
- The Answer to How is Yes: Acting on What Matters – Peter Block
- Parish Collective, Seattle www.parishcollective.org
- New Song Urban Ministries – www.nsum.org
- Christian Community Development Missional Church Network
- http://missionalchurchnetwork.com (check out their suggested reading list)